For the Love of Cooking|
Recipes and Resources for Making Great Food
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
Rate this Recipe
|1 tablespoon good olive oil|
|8 slices smoked bacon, diced|
|2 1/2 lb. Beef Chuck or Stew Meat, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces|
|Montreal Steak Seasoning, to taste|
|1 lb. sliced carrots|
|2 yellow onions, diced|
|4 cloves garlic, minced|
|2 teaspoons sea salt|
|1/2 cup Cooking Sherry or brandy|
|1 bottle dry red wine|
|3 cups beef broth|
|1 can tomato paste|
|2 large bay leaves|
|1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, or 1 1/2 tsp. dried|
|5 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature, divided|
|1 tablespoon brown sugar|
|1 lb. frozen pearl onions|
|1 lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced|
|3 tablespoons all-purpose flour|
|1/2 cup chopped fresh chives, for garnish|
|1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper|
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Pat beef cubes dry with paper towels and sprinkle evenly with Montreal Steak Seasoning; set aside.
- Preheat large Dutch oven over medium-high heat and add olive oil and diced bacon. Sauté until bacon is crisp; Remove bacon with slotted spoon to drain on paper towels. Brown beef cubes in bacon fat on all sides in batches. Keep browned beef warm on covered tray. Add carrots, onions, garlic, salt and black pepper to pot. Cook until soft and translucent, about 10 minutes. Add sherry or if using brandy, ignite to burn off alcohol. Add beef and bacon back to the pot along with red wine, beef broth, tomato paste, and thyme.
- Bring to a boil, stirring well; remove from heat. Place, stew, covered, in oven for 1 1/2 hours or until meat and veggies are fork tender.
- Meanwhile, preheat large skillet over medium high heat. Add 2 tablespoons butter, brown sugar, mushrooms and pearl onions and sauté until caramelized, about 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together remaining butter with flour into a paste; set aside. Transfer stew from oven to stove top and bring to a boil. Stir in mushrooms and pearl onions and butter paste. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes until gravy is thickened. Serve over mashed potatoes or toasted crostini.
Nothing beats good old-fashioned slow cooked food!
These recipes are full of flavor and easy to make. From classic roasts to hearty stews, there's something for everyone. View Recipes >
Classic Holiday Recipes with a Twist
Try these delicious recipes for your Thanksgiving meal. They're easy to prepare, fun to make, the whole family will love them. Share your passion for cooking and do something a little different this holiday season. Great tasting recipes from turkey and stuffing to mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce. Don't forget the pumpkin pie! View Recipes >
What to eat before the Big Meal?
Here are a few recipe ideas to have before your Thanksgiving Day meal. Why not start off the day with something a little sweeter? Maybe a dish with apples? The perfect fall fruit, crisp, juicy and delicious. Or maybe you're in the mood for a hearty brunch, something with a little of everything. View Recipes >
Easy and delicious recipes for the big game!
Whip up classic favorites like a hearty chili, baked potato skins and Philly steaks. All your favorite dishes in one place! Don't sweat it on game day, we've got great starters and snacks to make it to the end. Perfect for feeding the whole team. Just be prepared to make seconds, these are the true crowd pleasers! View Recipes >
©2019 Knowlan's Super Markets Inc. Website By: DW Green Co. All rights reserved.