Corn and Potato Chowder with Bacon
Hearty and filling from the first bite to the last.
|3 slices bacon |
|1 1/2 cups onion, diced |
|3 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels |
|2 cloves garlic, minced |
|1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped |
|2 cups chicken broth |
|1/2 cup half and half |
|1/2 cup 2% milk |
|1/2 lb. round fingerling potato slices |
|1/4 teaspoon salt |
|1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper |
| Parsley, for garnish |
- Set a dutch oven over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until crisp. Remove bacon from dutch oven and crumble.
- Add onion to drippings in pan; cook and stir until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add corn, garlic and thyme to pan; cook, stirring constantly, for about 30 seconds.
- Stir in broth, half and half, milk, and potatoes. Bring to a simmer. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Place about 2 cups of the potato mixture in a blender. Remove the center piece of the blender lid to allow steam to escape. Place blender lid on blender then put a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth, then return blended mixture to pan.
- Stir in salt and black pepper. When ready to serve, sprinkle with crumbled bacon and garnish with thyme sprigs.