For the Love of Cooking|
Recipes and Resources for Making Great Food
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
Traditional King Cake
Rate this Recipe
Serves 1 cake
Make a King Cake to celebrate Mardi Gras in style.
|2 1/2 cups powdered sugar|
|1 stick butter, (melted)|
|1/2 cup sugar|
|4 cups flour|
|1 cup milk, (warmed)|
|2 tablespoons milk, (cold)|
|2 teaspoons salt|
|5 egg yolks|
|1/4 cup lemon juice|
|1 teaspoon ground nutmeg|
|1 tablespoon candy sprinkles|
|1 teaspoon lemon zest, (fresh, grated)|
|8 oz. cream cheese|
|2 packs active dry yeast|
- Pour sugar and dry yeast into warm milk, let dry ingredients dissolve. After dissolved, let stand for 10 minutes, until creamy.
- Add melted butter and egg yolks to warm milk mixture, stir ingredients together.
- In a separate bowl, mix together nutmeg, flour, lemon zest and salt. Add to milk mixture and beat together. Once it forms into a dough, pour onto floured surface and knead for 8 minutes. Place dough in a large mixing bowl. Cover with damp cloth and set in warm place to rise for 2 hours.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine 1/2 cup powdered sugar and cream cheese. Mix ingredients together very well. In a separate small bowl, combine cold milk, remaining powdered sugar and lemon juice. Mix ingredients together very well.
- Place dough on floured surface, roll out into large rectangle. Spread cream cheese mixture in the center of the dough. Fold dough in half lengthwise and seal shut. Roll dough into a cylinder shape and place on a greased baking sheet seam side down. Form dough into a ring shape. Place a large coffee can in the center to keep ring shape. Cover with towel and let rise for 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Place dough in the oven, bake for 30 minutes, until golden brown. Remove coffee can and let cool. Once cooled, brush lemon sugar glaze on top and sprinkle with candy sprinkles.
See Other Recipes Like This
Delicious Greek yogurt recipes to try at home.
If you love Greek yogurt, but want to shake things up a bit, try these amazing recipes. They're healthy, flavorful and easy to make! View Recipes >
Mouth-Watering Memorial Day
Celebrate freedom, family and friends with good food. It's time to kickoff summer! View Recipes >
The Real Flavor of Mardi Gras!
Ah, C'est bon ca (Ah, that's good), describes cajun cooking perfectly. Louisiana has a cuisine that's unlike anywhere else in the United States. Mixing French with Southern, and making something truly unique. View Recipes >
©2019 Knowlan's Super Markets Inc. Website By: DW Green Co. All rights reserved.