For the Love of Cooking|
Recipes and Resources for Making Great Food
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
Rate this Recipe
|2 tablespoons Olive Oil|
|3 cloves Garlic, minced|
|1 whole Large Onion, diced|
|2 lb Italian Sausage|
|1 can Whole Tomatoes, (28 oz.)with Juice|
|2 cans Tomato Sauce or Marinara Sauce, (14.5 oz.)|
|2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning|
|1/2 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes|
|Fresh Minced Parsley|
|1 tub Whole Milk Ricotta Cheese, (15 oz.)|
|1 lb. Mozzarella Cheese, grated|
|1/2 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese|
|1 whole Egg|
|16 oz Ziti Or Mostaccioli, cooked until not quite Al Dente|
- Heat olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Add garlic and onions and saute for several minutes, or until starting to soften. Add Italian sausage and cook until browned. Drain off fat, leaving a bit behind for flavor and moisture.
- Add tomatoes, tomato juice, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Stir and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes. After that time, remove 3 to 4 Cups of the sauce to a different bowl to cool down.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a separate bowl, mix together the ricotta cheese, 2 cups of the grated mozzarella, Parmesan, egg, salt and pepper. Stir together just a couple of times (do not mix completely).
- Drain the pasta and rinse under cool water to stop the cooking and cool it down. Pour it into the bowl with the cheese mixture and toss to slightly combine (there should still be large lumps.) Add the cooled meat sauce and toss to combine.
- Add half the coated pasta to a large casserole dish or lasagna dish. Spoon half of the remaining sauce over the top, then top with half the remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat with another layer of the coated pasta, the sauce, and the mozzarella.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until bubbling. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before serving. Sprinkle chopped parsley over the pasta before serving.
©2021 Knowlan's Super Markets Inc. Website By: DW Green Co. All rights reserved.