For the Love of Cooking|
Recipes and Resources for Making Great Food
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
Rate this Recipe
|1 White Onion, finely chopped|
|4-5 Cloves Garlic, minced|
|5 Cups Marinara Sauce|
|2 Tsp Sea Salt|
|1 Tsp Black Pepper|
|16 oz Ziti or Penne Noodles|
|1-1 1/2 Cups Whole Milk Ricotta Cheese|
|1 Large Egg|
|1/2-1 Cup Parmesan Cheese, grated|
|8 oz Mozzarella Cheese, grated or shredded|
|12 Slices Provolone Cheese|
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta according to package instructions. You want the noodles to be al dente or a little firm. Drain and set aside.
- While the noodles are boiling, make the sauce. Add olive oil to a large skillet or pot and heat over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft and translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper, add more or less to taste.
- Add the marinara sauce, stir to combine, and continue to heat until warmed through.
- In a small bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, egg, and ½ cup parmesan cheese. Set aside.
- Drizzle olive oil in the bottom of a 9x13 pan or spray with cooking spray.
- Pour HALF of the cooked noodles and HALF of the sauce into the pan. Stir to combine.
- Add small dollops of the ricotta mixture evenly over the top. Only use HALF of the ricotta mixture, save the rest for the second layer.
- Top with 6 slices of provolone cheese, evenly over the top.
- Sprinkle HALF of the mozzarella cheese evenly over the top.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Add the other half of the cooked noodles on top of the cheese, then pour the remaining sauce on top. Carefully spread the sauce over the top of the noodles so all noodles are coated.
- Use the remaining ricotta mixture to add small dollops evenly over the top of the noodles and sauce.
- Top with the remaining 6 slices of provolone cheese, in an even layer.
- Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella cheese evenly over the top.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese (optional) and bake, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown and melted and the ziti is heated through. You can also put the ziti under the broiler for a few minutes to get a golden brown top.
- Serve warm. Garnish with additional parmesan cheese, optional. Pairs well with a side of garlic bread. Enjoy!
©2022 Knowlan's Super Markets Inc. Website By: DW Green Co. All rights reserved.