For the Love of Cooking|
Recipes and Resources for Making Great Food
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
French Onion Soup
Rate this Recipe
|8 Medium White Onions, sliced, or 4 large white onions|
|6 oz Sherry Cooking WIne|
|4 Bay Leaves|
|1 Bundle Thyme, about 4-5 stems|
|2 Quarts Chicken Stock|
|Baguette, sliced thin|
|1/2 lb Gruyere, shredded|
- Coat a large deep pot with olive oil. Add the onions and sprinkle generously with salt. Bring the pan to medium heat. Stir onions to coat with oil. Cover and sweat for 15-20 minutes.
- Once the onions have gotten very soft and let off a lot of water, remove the lid and let the onions cook low and slow to develop a rich brown color and sweet flavor. This takes about one hour if not longer.
- When the onions are very brown and have gotten considerably smaller, add the sherry and cook until the sherry has reduced by half.
- Add the bay leaves, thyme and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for at least 1 hour. Taste for seasoning. If necessary, add salt. If the stock reduces too much add water to keep the liquid level up. When done, the soup should be thick and flavorful.
- Toast the baguettes slices in the oven while the soup is finishing cooking.
- Fill ovenproof crocks ¾ of the way with the onion soup. Float 2 baguette slices in each bowl and top with grated Gruyere. Place the crocks under the broiler to melt the cheese and make it brown and bubbly.
Delicious, Healthy and Easy to Make
Whether you're looking to spice up the regular Fall menu or looking for healthier alternatives, we've got a dish for you. View Recipes >
Enjoy the Deliciousness of Hatch Chiles!
There's a reason hatch chiles are an extremely popular variety of chile, they're spicy but not too hot. They're perfect for nearly every recipe from cornbread to cookies. Try these recipes today! View Recipes >
The perfect recipes for the school year!
When it comes to the school year, you usually have less time to make breakfast, lunch and dinner. Try these tasty recipes, they're easy, quick and delicious! View Recipes >
Easy and delicious recipes for the big game!
Whip up classic favorites like a hearty chili, baked potato skins and Philly steaks. All your favorite dishes in one place! Don't sweat it on game day, we've got great starters and snacks to make it to the end. Perfect for feeding the whole team. Just be prepared to make seconds, these are the true crowd pleasers! View Recipes >
©2019 Knowlan's Super Markets Inc. Website By: DW Green Co. All rights reserved.