For the Love of Cooking|
Recipes and Resources for Making Great Food
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
French Onion Soup
Rate this Recipe
|8 Medium White Onions, sliced, or 4 large white onions|
|6 oz Sherry Cooking WIne|
|4 Bay Leaves|
|1 Bundle Thyme, about 4-5 stems|
|2 Quarts Chicken Stock|
|Baguette, sliced thin|
|1/2 lb Gruyere, shredded|
- Coat a large deep pot with olive oil. Add the onions and sprinkle generously with salt. Bring the pan to medium heat. Stir onions to coat with oil. Cover and sweat for 15-20 minutes.
- Once the onions have gotten very soft and let off a lot of water, remove the lid and let the onions cook low and slow to develop a rich brown color and sweet flavor. This takes about one hour if not longer.
- When the onions are very brown and have gotten considerably smaller, add the sherry and cook until the sherry has reduced by half.
- Add the bay leaves, thyme and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for at least 1 hour. Taste for seasoning. If necessary, add salt. If the stock reduces too much add water to keep the liquid level up. When done, the soup should be thick and flavorful.
- Toast the baguettes slices in the oven while the soup is finishing cooking.
- Fill ovenproof crocks ¾ of the way with the onion soup. Float 2 baguette slices in each bowl and top with grated Gruyere. Place the crocks under the broiler to melt the cheese and make it brown and bubbly.
Nothing beats good old-fashioned slow cooked food!
These recipes are full of flavor and easy to make. From classic roasts to hearty stews, there's something for everyone. View Recipes >
Classic Holiday Recipes with a Twist
Try these delicious recipes for your Thanksgiving meal. They're easy to prepare, fun to make, the whole family will love them. Share your passion for cooking and do something a little different this holiday season. Great tasting recipes from turkey and stuffing to mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce. Don't forget the pumpkin pie! View Recipes >
What to eat before the Big Meal?
Here are a few recipe ideas to have before your Thanksgiving Day meal. Why not start off the day with something a little sweeter? Maybe a dish with apples? The perfect fall fruit, crisp, juicy and delicious. Or maybe you're in the mood for a hearty brunch, something with a little of everything. View Recipes >
Easy and delicious recipes for the big game!
Whip up classic favorites like a hearty chili, baked potato skins and Philly steaks. All your favorite dishes in one place! Don't sweat it on game day, we've got great starters and snacks to make it to the end. Perfect for feeding the whole team. Just be prepared to make seconds, these are the true crowd pleasers! View Recipes >
©2019 Knowlan's Super Markets Inc. Website By: DW Green Co. All rights reserved.