For the Love of Cooking|
Recipes and Resources for Making Great Food
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
French Onion Soup
Rate this Recipe
|8 Medium White Onions, sliced, or 4 large white onions|
|6 oz Sherry Cooking WIne|
|4 Bay Leaves|
|1 Bundle Thyme, about 4-5 stems|
|2 Quarts Chicken Stock|
|Baguette, sliced thin|
|1/2 lb Gruyere, shredded|
- Coat a large deep pot with olive oil. Add the onions and sprinkle generously with salt. Bring the pan to medium heat. Stir onions to coat with oil. Cover and sweat for 15-20 minutes.
- Once the onions have gotten very soft and let off a lot of water, remove the lid and let the onions cook low and slow to develop a rich brown color and sweet flavor. This takes about one hour if not longer.
- When the onions are very brown and have gotten considerably smaller, add the sherry and cook until the sherry has reduced by half.
- Add the bay leaves, thyme and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for at least 1 hour. Taste for seasoning. If necessary, add salt. If the stock reduces too much add water to keep the liquid level up. When done, the soup should be thick and flavorful.
- Toast the baguettes slices in the oven while the soup is finishing cooking.
- Fill ovenproof crocks ¾ of the way with the onion soup. Float 2 baguette slices in each bowl and top with grated Gruyere. Place the crocks under the broiler to melt the cheese and make it brown and bubbly.
Delicious Greek yogurt recipes to try at home.
If you love Greek yogurt, but want to shake things up a bit, try these amazing recipes. They're healthy, flavorful and easy to make! View Recipes >
Mouth-Watering Memorial Day
Celebrate freedom, family and friends with good food. It's time to kickoff summer! View Recipes >
©2019 Knowlan's Super Markets Inc. Website By: DW Green Co. All rights reserved.