For the Love of Cooking|
Recipes and Resources for Making Great Food
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
White Mac and Cheese
Rate this Recipe
|6 slices quality white bread, crust removed, torn into 1/2 pieces|
|8 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for buttering casserole|
|5 1/2 cups whole milk|
|1/2 cup flour|
|2 teaspoons kosher salt|
|1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, plus more to taste|
|paprika, for topping|
|4 1/2 cups grated sharp white cheddar|
|2 cups grated Gruyere|
|1 pound elbow macaroni|
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 3-quart casserole dish; set aside. Place bread pieces in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Pour butter into the bowl with bread, and toss, set aside. In a sauce pan over medium heat, heat milk. Melt remaining 6 tablespoons butter in a large sauce pan over medium high heat, when butter bubbles, add flour. Cook, stirring, at least 1 minute.
- Slowly add hot milk into flour-butter mixture while whisking. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture bubbles and becomes thick.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, 3 cups cheddar, and 1 1/2 cups Gruyere. Set cheese sauce aside.
- Fill a large saucepan with water. Bring to a boil. Add macaroni; cook until slightly al dente. Transfer the macaroni to a colander, rinse under cold running water, and drain well. Stir macaroni into the cheese sauce.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle remaining 1 1/2 cups cheddar and 1/2 cup Gruyere on top; scatter breadcrumbs over the top and sprinkle with Paprika. Bake until browned on top, approximately 30 minutes. Cool for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
©2021 Knowlan's Super Markets Inc. Website By: DW Green Co. All rights reserved.