For the Love of Cooking|
Recipes and Resources for Making Great Food
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites
Rate this Recipe
|1 1/2 Cups Warm Water|
|2 Tbsp Light Brown Sugar|
|1 Package Active Dry Yeast (2 1/4 Tsp)|
|6 Tbsp Unsalted Butter, melted|
|2 1/2 Tsp Kosher Salt|
|4 1/2 to 5 Cups All Purpose Flour|
|3 Quarts Water|
|1/2 Cup Baking Soda|
|1 Egg, beaten|
|1 Tbsp Cold Water|
|Coarse Sea Salt|
- Combine cups water, sugar, yeast, and butter in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix with the dough hook until combined. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add the salt and flour and mix on low speed until combined.
- Increase the speed to medium and continue kneading until the dough is smooth and begins to pull away from the side of the bowl, about 3 to 4 minutes. If the dough appears too wet, add additional flour, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Remove the dough from the bowl, place on a flat surface and knead into a ball with your hands.
- Oil a bowl with vegetable oil, add the dough and turn to coat with the oil.
- Cover with a clean towel or plastic wrap and place in a warm spot until the dough doubles in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Start boiling the 3 quarts of water in a small roasting pan over high heat.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and place on a flat surface.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces, about 4 1/4 to 4 1/2 ounces each. Roll each piece into a long rope measuring 22 inches and shape. Cut the dough into one inch pieces to make the pretzel bites.
- Add baking soda to boiling water.
- Boil the pretzel bites in the water solution in batches, about 15 bites at a time. Boil for about 30 seconds.
- Remove with a large slotted spoon and place on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Make sure they are not touching.
- Brush the tops with the egg wash and season liberally with the salt.
- Place into the oven and bake for 15 to 18 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove to a baking rack and let rest 5 minutes before eating.
- Serve with Beer Cheese Sauce available prepared in the Deli or make your own with the following recipe:
|2 Tablespoons unsalted butter|
|2 Tablespoons flour|
|1/4 cup heavy whipping cream|
|1/2 cup beer|
|8 ounce shredded cheddar cheese|
|1/2 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce|
|1/2 teaspoon paprika|
|salt and pepper, to taste|
- In a medium nonstick pot, melt the butter, then whisk in the flour all at once and cook for a couple of minutes, until it smells lightly toasted.
- Slowly pour in the whipping cream, and the beer, whisking constantly to prevent lumps.
- Stir in the cheese until just melted, then remove from heat and add the seasonings.
©2020 Knowlan's Super Markets Inc. Website By: DW Green Co. All rights reserved.