For the Love of Cooking|
Recipes and Resources for Making Great Food
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
Monte Cristo Sandwich
Rate this Recipe
|8 Slices Sourdough Bread or Texas Toast|
|1/2 Cup Milk|
|1 Tsp Cinnamon|
|8 Slices Bacon|
|8 Slices Fontina Cheese|
|1/2 lb Delli Ham, shaved|
|1/2 lb Deli Turkey, shaved|
|1/2 Cup Strawberry Jelly, or substitute Raspberry Jelly|
|2 Tbsp Hoisin Sauce|
|1 Tbsp Soy Sauce|
|1/4 Tsp Cayenne Pepper|
|1 Tbsp Cornstarch|
- Cook bacon according to package instructions. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together the eggs, milk, and cinnamon.
- Preheat a skillet or griddle over medium heat. Melt a small amount of butter in the skillet or on the griddle to prevent sticking. Briefly dip each slice of bread into the batter, coating both sides, and place on the skillet/griddle. Heat on both sides until golden brown and crispy. Remove to the baking sheet in a single layer.
- Place a slice of cheese on each piece of bread.
- Top 4 pieces of bread with ham and the other 4 pieces of bread with turkey. Pile the meat as high as you would like. You should have what resembles open faced sandwiches.
- Place in the oven to warm through and melt the cheese, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and add 2 pieces of bacon on top of the ham sides of the sandwiches. Turn the turkey side of the sandwiches onto the ham sides to create 4 sandwiches.
- Optional - add a fried egg to each sandwich before serving.
- While the sandwiches are baking, make the strawberry dipping sauce. In a separate saucepan, add the strawberry jelly, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, and cayenne pepper. Heat over low heat and stir until combined. Continue to heat until the jelly dissolves, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the cornstarch and stir to combine. Bring to a slow simmer and continue to simmer for 2-3 minutes. This will help the mixture thicken. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Slice the sandwiches in half and serve warm with the strawberry sauce on the side for dipping.
©2021 Knowlan's Super Markets Inc. Website By: DW Green Co. All rights reserved.