The holidays are upon us and Christmas is fast approaching. It’s a busy time of year for most; decorating the house, buying a tree, wrapping gifts, finalizing plans with family, etc. so I want to offer a few drink options you can serve at your get-togethers this year. I have 4 recipes below, 2 are adults only (sorry kids) and 2 can be for either adults or kids, so there is something for everyone. I mean, it is the most wonderful (and booziest) time of year!
- 2 – 13oz. Packets Unsweetened Lemon-Lime Kool-Aid
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 1 – 12oz. Can Pineapple Juice
- 1 – 12oz. Frozen Lemonade Concentrate, thawed
- 1 – 2 Liter Sprite
- Red Rim Sugar, add red food coloring to white sugar and mix together in a bowl
- Pour 2 quarts of water in a 2-gallon pitcher.
- Add the Kool-Aid packets and sugar, and mix until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the pineapple juice and lemonade, stir well.
- Refrigerate before serving.
- To top the rim of a glass, dip the top in water then dip in the red sugar.
- Add ice to each glass and pour about ½ full.
- Top with Sprite and serve.
This Grinch Punch drink is delicious by itself because it’s fruity and sweet but you can also add a splash (or 2..or 3…or however many you want) of vodka to make a grown up version. The red rim sugar makes for a fun presentation, plus what kid isn’t going to want more sugar? This is a punch you want to serve for a crowd. The recipe makes quite a bit, so you don’t have to worry about running out.
Sugared Cranberry Ingredients
- 12 oz. Fresh Cranberries
- ½ Cup Simple Syrup
- ½ Cup Sugar
Cranberry Mule Ingredients
- 2 oz. Unsweetened Cranberry Juice
- 3 oz. Ginger Beer
- 1 ½ oz. Spiced Rum
- 1 oz. Simple Syrup
Sugared Cranberry Directions
- Line a baking sheet with foil and place a cooling rack on top.
- Add 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of water to a small saucepan. Heat over medium-low heat, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add ½ cup of the simple syrup and the cranberries to a bowl. Toss to coat.
- Pour the cranberries on the cooling rack and place in the fridge for 30 minutes. This will make the berries somewhat sticky.
- Add ½ cup of sugar to a bowl and add the “sticky” cranberries. Toss to coat.
- Pour the cranberries back onto the cooling rack and place in the fridge for another 30 minutes.
Cranberry Mule Directions
- Place ice in a copper mug.
- Combine the cranberry juice, ginger beer, run, and simple syrup in a cocktail shaker.
- Shake to combine and pour over ice.
- Garnish with sugared cranberries.
This Cranberry Mule recipe is a twist on a classic Moscow Mule. It’s a thrilling blend of flavors that are bold and tart, yet spicy from the ginger. The sugared cranberries are a nice touch (and taste great by themselves) but if you don’t want to put in the effort you can serve with fresh or frozen cranberries. Sorry kids, this one’s for the grown-ups.
Cider Hot Toddy
- 20 oz. Apple Cider
- 4 Cinnamon Sticks
- 16 Whole Cloves
- 3 Tbsp Honey
- 8 oz. Whiskey, of choice
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- In a saucepan combine the apple cider, cinnamon sticks and cloves. Bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and cover. Let spices steep for 15 minutes.
- Strain spices and stir in honey to dissolve.
- Add the whiskey and lemon juice, and stir to combine.
- Serve with apple slices and cinnamon sticks for garnish.
A hot toddy is a classic winter beverage. It’s served warm and has strong flavor that warms you throughout. This Cider Hot Toddy recipe has added flavor from the apple cider making it sweet with a hint of spice. This recipe only serves two but the two people with the drink will be very happy 😊
Peppermint Hot Chocolate
- 1 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 1/3 Cup Hot Water
- ½ Cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 4 Cups Milk
- ¼ Cup Half and Half
- ¼ Cup Sugar
- 5 Candy Canes, chopped, plus more for garnish
- Marshmallows and/or Whipped Cream
- In a small bowl mix together, the cocoa powder and hot water.
- In the bowl of a slow cooker, add the chocolate chips, milk, half and half, sugar, candy canes, and cocoa powder/water mixture.
- Heat on high for about 45 minutes, stirring every 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with marshmallows and/or whipped cream, and a candy cane garnish.
This Peppermint hot chocolate is very chocolaty and comforting. I prefer the slow cooker method, but you can also make this on the stove by heating the ingredients in a sauce pan. This starts as a kid friendly drink but adding a little Coffee Liqueur or Peppermint Schnapps will make this drink even more delicious! I like to garnish mine with marshmallows and a candy cane because the candy melts in your mug as you drink, and the chocolate starts to solidify on the bottom of the mug, giving you a little something extra at the end. It is the perfect winter drink.
I hope you enjoy these beverages and can use them at holiday celebrations with family and friends. Cheers!